Saturday, July 5, 2008

Cupcakes and what not

I think I will pursue my dream of being a baker. In probably the most ineffective, non-conventional way possible. When I was younger, we went to the Great Harvest Bread Company probably once a week to buy the most fantastic bread I've ever tasted. I would tell my mom that when I was old enough to get a job, I would work there. Well, I didn't. Because I asked, and they started you out as a lowly dishwasher/prep person at 5:30 am, and well, that didn't mix with my high school career so well. And for months I've been talking about putting a baking portfolio together and have yet to do that either. I think instead that I am going to march my home baked goodness into the cakery and tell them that I'd like to work for them. I guess it's worth a shot. Better than what I'm doing now.

On that note I baked some cupcakes to bring to Ryan's parents 4th of July bbq/ b-day party for him. They were vanilla filled with jam (blood orange, cherry, raspberry jam to be exact) and topped with vanilla buttercream and blueberries. Problem: my buttercream always turns out like shit. It tastes good, don't get me wrong, but its never fluffy. I need a hand mixer I think. And I shouldn't try so hard to make things secretly healthier until I've perfected them in the gluttonous way.

So maybe the cakery will turn me down, but hell, there's always that anarchist bakery, and they'd love to have me there and then pay nothing in return. It sucks their bread is so freaking good.

And for a complete topic change. I noticed yesterday that people who thoroughly enjoy children probably love life a hell of a lot more than people like me. I like duck duck goose too, but wet overweight children with sassy attitudes are a turn off.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

everyone LOVED your carrot cake and after you left people kept asking "is there more of that carrot cake left?"

jeph ribboy loved it quite a lot also and went on and on about how i should have tried it.

sorry for not trying your cake but thank you for bringing it. i am still thinking of how brilliant you are for using those sticky bugs. i love you.