Friday, May 2, 2008

Stock Up

Scott and I went grocery shopping earlier this week. We needed produce, but honestly, I just wanted to stock up on extra flour. So I bought two five pound bags and stuck them in our freezer. I don't think that I can stress enough how important it is for people in our society to learn how to use their resources to make food for themselves and families. Most people do not know how to bake a loaf of bread. They buy packaged bread at the store, all filled with extra chemical nutrients and high fructose corn syrup. Or they toss some shit in a bread maker and let it do the work. Someday, that bread maker is going to shit out and you'll be left with nothing. We should also focus on food preservation. Drying, canning, pickling, all these methods of preserving food will save you money now and hunger later.
So I'm guilty of feeling that American panic, the need to stockpile. "A few extra cans of beans each time we go to the store couldn't hurt" Scott says. And I agree. But stockpiling isn't fixing the problem. Housewives going to the store and stocking up on bags of rice and two liters of pepsi doesn't mean they or you or anyone else is asking questions. I suppose that all questions asked are automatically diverted by those in power anyhow. Deny the problem, offer other sources of downfall, pass the blame, hush the people. It's not even about asking what to do next or who to blame (since humans as a whole are to blame, more specifically those who have money) but how we can make changes for ourselves and the way we live. When it comes to this food shortage we can first look at personal accountability. We should be asking questions of the problems causers but of ourselves as well. How can I reduce waste? How can i grow things on my garden? How can i preserve food?
And yeah, I'm stocking up a bit. But I can make jam and bread and dried foods. And I can do it without electric appliances. At the grocery store people see sales on pringles and 7-up and little debbie, so they stock up. They go home and drink poisoned water, watch a poisoned news station, and then poison their bodies with junk. That soda will run out, and the bugs will get to the snack cakes, and they will ask what to do. No president will have that answer.
I was having a conversation with my mom a few days ago and she was asking me what i thought about all of this. I think i really frightened my 15 year old sister, but I speak honestly, especially to them. I don't want to loose my family in all this mess. I was very adamant about how strongly I believe that vegetarianism could really help the state of our food supply. I know that we are past the point where any major change could save our Earth and its resources, but as individuals, if people switched to vegetarianism it would save waste, provide you with more nutrition for a stronger body, and put you in alliance with those who believe that land used to graze cattle for cow meat could be put to better use. You would also have an easier time with localization. I'm not saying converting to vegetarianism abstains you from questioning or doing anything else for this earth but it is a step. True vegetarianism and veganism forces people to become more aware of their bodies, and the land they take from, and forces them to become more self sufficient when it comes to food. Maybe mom and dad will convert, sister already has. who knows.

That's enough ranting for today. The beets and onions are sprouted. brussel sprouts are looking good, and hopefully this weekend the planting will commence.

No comments: