Saturday, May 3, 2008

We won't be feeling it yet...

So I made things sound pretty cryptic when talking about food shortages. And yeah, things are pretty damn bad. But people don't see how terrible the Earth is being treated and their role in that destruction because it's easier not to notice. Most Americans will only brush the surface in feeling the rising food prices. The poor here and everywhere else in the world have been feeling the impact of food shortages and skyrocketing prices for years, but it will take a very long time for the middle and upper classes to ever feel the devastation down to their stomachs. We still have fast food chains, and a bread-co down that street and even though grain is getting more expensive you can still choose from 20 different bagels and a handful of pastries. I could walk into a starbucks today and order a grande latte and a scone or two to go with it. So, while the need to conserve and perhaps even stockpile is necessary, the chance of mass famine in the US is far off.
Scott asked me to go with him to Webster University tonight to hear a lecture about ecology. He was listening to NPR and head an interview with Satish Kumar (I think...) about humans impact on ecology. I am worried about going because I never go and listen to lectures on issues I'm passionate about because I'm always afraid I'll get ridiculously angry at the way the topics are discussed (or not discussed). Maybe getting angry isn't such a bad thing though, at least it would fire me up to be more vocal etc. However, I did look this guy up and it says that he is a follower of Mahatma Ghandi. And a believer in peace and ecology. I have a lot of problems with those that believe peace is the answer. We are very far past that point in the history of mankind. I am sure that this man does have some interesting things to say and I will probably gain new insight in one area or another because of this lecture.
I also worry about the fact that it's on a college campus. I am an ass when it comes to college kids. Here's the issue: would I rather have college students interested in ecology, vegetarianism, environmentalism, bikes whatever the list goes on and on, because it's a fad like "green" is right now and possibly have them contribute even if it is superficially until they burn out later and "remember the days in college when I was a real activist" OR would I rather not have them interested at all if they aren't honestly trying to save the earth and themselves. Whatever. most people are selfish anyway and there's no changing that.

No comments: